Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Stiffnecked

Last night I read a verse about being stiffnecked, which has always interested me because frequently my muscles in my neck get tight and stiff and then I get a headache and when really bad, a migraine.  There are a few simple exercises that I can do to keep the movement in neck loose, but they need to be done everyday to work.  I once went to a Chiropractors office that had a sign that said "We Welcome the Stiffnecked."   So last night when I read this verse I took notice of the reference to being stiffnecked again.

I read 2 Nephi chapter 25 in which he speaks about Isaiah's teachings, which have always been hard for me to understand.  Verse 1:  For behold, Isaiah spake many things which were ahard for many of my people to understand; for they know not concerning the manner of prophesying among the Jews.  
It made me feel a little better that even the Nephites had a hard time understanding Isaiah's teachings. Nephi continues on speaking about the Jews in Jerusalem and their wickedness. 
12 But, behold, they shall have awars, and rumors of wars; and when the day cometh that the bOnly Begotten of the Father, yea, even the Father of heaven and of earth, shall cmanifest himself unto them in the flesh, behold, they will reject him, because of their iniquities, and the hardness of their hearts, and the stiffness of their necks.


And later in verse 28:
 28 And now behold, my people, ye are a astiffnecked people; wherefore, I have spoken plainly unto you, that ye cannot misunderstand. And the words which I have spoken shall stand as a btestimony against you; for they are sufficient to cteach any man the dright way; for the right way is to believe in Christ and deny him not; for by denying him ye also deny the prophets and the law.


 Stiffneckedness comes as a result of not doing our daily excercises praying every morning and  night and all the time in our hearts, reading and studying our scriptures daily, attending the temple monthly, attending and participating in church and sacrament meeting.   I think that is why the Lord has blessed me with a physical stiff neck--to remind me to keep doing my spiritual exercises so that I don't get a Spiritual stiff neck.  

No comments:

San Diego Temple