Sunday, March 29, 2015

Look Unto Me in Every Thought

When I was in high school we found out my mom had breast cancer and being the oldest in the family a lot of responsibilities fell upon me.  It was challenging for me but the hardest part was the intense fear of losing my mom.  During that time I found some passages of scriptures that became my rock.  In the book of Doctrine & Covenants chapter 6:
33 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.
 34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
 35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.
 36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
 37 Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen.
When Christ said little flock, I felt like that was me and my four younger siblings.  I resolved to do everything good I could do to help take care of my family while my mom was having surgery and recovering.  I trusted that God would take care of my mom when there was nothing else I could do to help her.   And then verse 36, "Look unto me in every thought, doubt not, fear not."  I hung this on my wall and repeated it in my mind over and over and over.  That verse got me through that experience.   We were very blessed that my mom had caught her cancer early and after surgery and some medications she is still with us today, 21 years later.

As is with the scriptures, each time you read them something new stands out to you despite having read it so many times before.  Today as I reread these verses His simple direction to us "Be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven."  When life feels so complicated, the Savior simplifies it for us be faithful and keep my commandments, if your doing that, your going to be ok.

No comments:

San Diego Temple