Friday, August 22, 2014

Weakness into Strength

Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

I have always read this verse understanding that God can help our weaknesses become strengths.  However, tonight as I was studying this verse I noticed that the word "weaknesses" isn't used, it is singular "weakness".    I've always had my list in my head that would pop up everytime I read this verse that had all the things that I have struggled with or could improve on.  But tonight I see another meaning in the verse.  "Men" is used to speak of all human kind collectively and "weakness" refers to the fallen state of all mankind.  We all are weak in that we cannot overcome sin and death without the power of our Savior.  The infinite atonement  is sufficent to provide grace to all people that humble themselves before God and have faith that Jesus does have the power to save and heal.  After we recognize our truly fallen state in relation to our eternal lives and truly believe that God, through his Son can and will help us, then we change our hearts from sinful to obedient and our death is overcome by resurrection.  And that is where the strength lies-- in the Atonement of Christ. 

No comments:

San Diego Temple