Friday, April 26, 2013

Steadfast & Immovable

Alma 1:22-25

22 Nevertheless, there were many among them who began to be proud, ....
23 ... and it was a cause of much affliction to the church; yea, it was the cause of much trial with the church.
24 For the hearts of many were hardened, and their names wereablotted out, that they were remembered no more among the people of God. And also many bwithdrew themselves from among them.
25 Now this was a great trial to those that did stand fast in the faith; nevertheless, they were asteadfast and immovable in keeping the commandments of God, and they bore with bpatiencethe persecution which was heaped upon them.

I think that sometimes we think that if do what is right and believe then we will have peace and happiness and no trials.  Tonight verse 25 was particularly interesting to me as I reflect on some of the trials I have experienced over the last few years.  In 22-24 it discusses how members of the Church had become prideful and contentious and "withdrew themselves from among them (the church)".

Second, in verse 25 those remaining in the Church "were steadfast and immovable in keeping the commandments of God" however, despite their righteousness "persecution ...was heaped upon them."  But because of their righteousness "they bore [it] with patience."

In these verses, they were all members of the church, they all had trials, the difference was the second group had the strength they needed to endure their trials because of their obedience and diligence to keeping the commandments.  Thus confirming what I had once heard, "Obedience is the first law of heaven."  I have no idea who said it or if someone important ever said it, but I heard it and it stuck with me.

First, I must ask myself, "What can I do to soften my heart toward the Lord?"  I have been trying really hard lately to remember my morning and nightly prayers.  But I have also realized that I also need quiet time to ponder and listen to the Lord.  I remember one year when I was in college, I lived by the stadium and everyday walking home from campus I had to walk across the large stadium parking lot.  I quickly began to love this part of my walk, for there was no one around me which is hard to find on campus and in an apartment of six girls.  I found myself talking to my Heavenly Father as I would cross the parking lot and before long found myself speaking to him out loud.   I would tell Him about my day, about the things that concerned me, and the things that had made me so happy.  I felt very close to Him during this time of my life because I spoke to Him so regularly.

Now as a stay-at-home mom quiet time is rare and I have had to consciously start to make quite time for myself--not only finding time when I'm playing 20+ questions with the kids but also making sure that when I do get those quiet moments to myself that I take advantage of them and speak to my Heavenly Father instead of filling that moment with a phone call, looking up something on the internet, or listening to music.  I am learning to be a "deliberate mother" as I have seen mentioned elsewhere.  

Second, How can I become Steadfast and Immovable in keeping the commandments?  Identifying the commandments where I can improve is my first step and then I will have to seek out help from the Lord.  I am so grateful that our Savior continues to forgive even though we try and slip and fall again and again sometimes. I am reminded of Ether 12:27:
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
All men are given weaknesses, but will we become proud and contentious or will we turn to the Lord and accept of our weaknesses and humble ourselves before God having faith in his teachings and promises, then will he cause our weak things to become strengths.  And with those strengths He has many good works for us to fulfill.

No comments:

San Diego Temple