Friday, January 18, 2013

Doctrine & Covenants Section 1

Section 1 is the Lord's Preface. The Lord gave this revelation as approval of the project of publishing the revelations received by Joseph Smith. This is unique of any other book of scripture.   But this Section also as important for what it is as what it says.  It is revelation. It shows the Lord's direct involvement with the formation of the Church and the path it would take.

As the early saints were baptized and committed themselves to the church.  They then waited for revelation upon revelation to dictate to them where their life would go.  That must have required a great deal of patience and faith.  But they would not have been able to live a life like that if they didn't know of a surety that the Church was true and that Joseph was a prophet of God receiving the will of God through revelation.  

So then the question of application must be asked.  Do I listen and change my life accordingly when I hear the current prophet and apostles speak.  Does my life hinge on the revelations received now as those Saints did then?  Do I see their teachings as revelations that can and should change the direction of my life?  Do I take their teachings lightly or as suggestions?

No comments:

San Diego Temple