Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What is Grace?

Knowing I was going to be washing dishes for about an hour, I decided to get something out of it too.  I turned to the BYU Speeches website and clicked on the first speech, it looked good enough to give my "mom brain" some stimulation.  I must say that I wasn't expecting what I got.  This was the best, clearest, simplest definition of Grace that I have ever heard.  Mostly because I've heard much about Grace but still never got it.  Brother Wilcox's explanation and example help me to understand Grace at a level that now I can apply it in my life.  I understand now how Grace can help me with the areas I'm struggling, while I am doing all I can do. Grace can help strengthen me even though I am attending church in spanish and don't understand what is going on (my own personal doctrinal drought). Grace will help me to become a better mother, be patient with my children when I'm at the edge, see clearly when the fog of life is surrounding me.   I think that I am going to have to listen and read this talk two or three more times to really get the depth of understanding that is available through this talk.   I hope you read or listen to it--it lightened my load just by learning the doctrine of Grace through Jesus Christ.  Hearing these words has sparked that small warm fuzzy in my heart which gives me a bit more determination to keep trying.  I really needed that.  I miss feeling that way all the time, but tonight I just put one little drop of oil in my lamp.  Keep practicing.


I was going to copy the text of the talk here, but it is a bit long and was having trouble copying and pasting.  Just click here and download the free MP3 or free PDF of the whole talk.

Here are some of my favorite quotes I heard tonight:


“Jesus doesn’t make up the difference. Jesus makes all the difference. Grace is not about filling gaps. it is about filling us.”

 "We will all be resurrected. We will all go back to God’s presence. What is left to be determined by our obedience is what kind of body we plan on being resurrected with and how comfortable we plan to be in God’s presence and how long we plan to stay there.”

"Christ asks us to show faith in Him, repent, make and keep covenants, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. By complying, we are not paying the demands of justice—not even the smallest part. Instead, we are showing appreciation for what Jesus Christ did by using it to live a life like His. Justice requires immediate perfection or a punishment when we fall short. Because Jesus took that punishment, He can offer us the chance for ultimate perfection (see Matthew 5:48, 3 Nephi 12:48) and help us reach that goal. He can forgive what justice never could, and He can turn to us now with His own set of requirements (see 3 Nephi 28:35)."

"Christ’s arrangement with us is similar to a mom providing music lessons for her child. Mom pays the piano teacher. How many know what I am talking about? Because Mom pays the debt in full, she can turn to her child and ask for something. What is it? Practice! Does the child’s practice pay the piano teacher? No. Does the child’s practice repay Mom for paying the piano teacher? No. Practicing is how the child shows appreciation for Mom’s incredible gift. It is how he takes advantage of the amazing opportunity Mom is giving him to live his life at a higher level. Mom’s joy is found not in getting repaid but in seeing her gift used—seeing her child improve.  And so she continues to call for practice, practice, practice."

"In the same way, because Jesus has paid justice, He can now turn to us and say, “Follow me” (Matthew 4:19), “Keep my commandments” (John 14:15). "

"Elder Dallin H. Oaks has said, referring to President Spencer W. Kimball’s explanation, “The repenting sinner must suffer for his sins, but this suffering has a different purpose than punishment or payment. its purpose is change” (The Lord’s Way [Salt lake city: deseret Book, 1991], 223; emphasis in original). Let’s put that in terms of our analogy: The child must practice the piano, but this practice has a different purpose than punishment or payment. Its purpose is change."

Okay, There are just too many good quotes. I'm gonna have to stop copying them, you've got to read/listen to the whole thing








No comments:

San Diego Temple