Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Father

"My beloved sisters and brothers, God our Father is not feeling or an idea or force. He is holy person who, as the scriptures teach, has face and hands and glorious immortal body. He is real, He knows each of us individually, and He loves us, every one. He wants to bless us." Devn Cornish.


What are some things that testify to you that there is a God?
God has given me a gift.  From my earliest childhood memories, I knew in my heart that there was a God who was my Eternal Father.  I knew Him. I felt that I had come to this earth to gain my mortal body, but I felt out of place here.  It was worldly and I longed to return home to my Heavenly Father.   I would always talk with Him.  I knew He knew me too. And as I grew I had experiences that confirmed without a doubt in my mind what my heart had always known, --that God knew me, little me with all my unspoken hopes and desires, with all my inadequacies. God moved people into my life to tell me, teach me, and show me things that God wanted me to know.   The times that I received those personal messages from God was a direct result from being where I was supposed to be --in the right place at the right time. (The principle of Showing Up: If you are supposed to be in church--Be There.)

There are other things that show evidence that there is a higher being, but for me none are more compelling than that feeling in my heart that lets me know that I have a relationship with my Heavenly Father.   What is beautiful is that God will give this gift of knowledge to anyone who asks for it, all you have to do is pray to Him and He will answer you. 

Jesus said:
“Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him astone?
“Or if he ask fish, will he give him serpent?
“If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, howmuch more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to themthat ask him?” (Matthew 7:9–11).
Devn Cornish also said, "I have found that one of the secrets to joyful life is to recognize that doing things the Lord’s way will make me happier than doing things my way."  


I definitely know this to be true, through experience.  


Elder Cornish continues:  "There is risk that person may not feel good enough to pray. Thisidea comes from that evil spirit who is the one who teaches us not topray (see Nephi 32:8). It is as tragic to think we are too sinful to pray as it is for very sick person to believe he is too sick to go to the doctor!"



When say that prayer is sweet privilege, it is not just because amgrateful to be able to talk to Heavenly Father and to feel His Spirit whenpray. It is also because He actually answers and speaks to us. Ofcourse, the way He speaks to us is usually not with voice we hear.President Boyd K. Packer explained: “That sweet, quiet voice ofinspiration comes more as feeling than it does as sound. Pureintelligence can be spoken into the mind. … This guidance comes asthoughts, as feelings through promptings and impressions” (“Prayer andPromptings,” Liahona and Ensign, Nov. 2009, 44).


cherish the counsel of our beloved prophet, President Thomas S.Monson, who said: “To those within the sound of my voice who arestruggling with challenges and difficulties large and small, prayer is theprovider of spiritual strength; it is the passport to peace. Prayer is themeans by which we approach our Father in Heaven, who loves us. Speakto Him in prayer and then listen for the answer. Miracles are wroughtthrough prayer” (“Be Your Best Self,” Liahona and Ensign, May 2009, 68).

No comments:

San Diego Temple